Thursday, March 11, 2010

What goes into an IVF Vacation you ask?

Why, a lot goes into it! T and I started with Googling a lot and she came across a gentleman from Passport Medical named Mark. He and T started talking at first. He specializes in organizing these trips and believe it or not, his wife and he are going through IVF in May also.

We researched CIMA Hospital in Costa Rica and Hospital Panama, obviously in Panama. State of the art equipment including a 4d/5d ultrasound machine! We found that everything was up to or exceeding American standards and were very pleased. We also did a bunch of research on Dr. Perez. His success rates were phenomenal and everything that is required for IVF in the states is also required by him. He needs a CD 3 FSH level, an SHG, a semen analysis from the spouse and other various types of blood work.

After getting some additional questions answered by Mark, we started looking at airfare, accommodations, and costs of living in Costa Rica and Panama for 3 weeks. After regurgitating stats and dollar signs on paper, we have found that we are going to shell out between 1/3 and 1/2 of what we would pay in the states (I will go into breakdown of costs soon). Plus we get to embark on this journey in countries full of palm trees and beaches.

Thanks to Adam's parents we are all staying at their timeshare for the majority of the time we are there, so we cut that cost. Thank you Pat for all the calling around you did, we really appreciate it and understand all the hard work that went into it.

We are STILL planning two months later, so it does take a while to get everything ready and in order. Trying to get all these tests done and out to Dr. Perez has been one of the challenges, also Tracie and I live 1500 miles away from each other, which also makes our communicating about plans a bit challenging.

If I haven't answered all of your questions, I'm probably not thinking of something, we are prepared to answer questions, you can either comment or email either T or I!

3 comments:

  1. Christa,

    I just needed to tell you that I came upon your "A Story of Our Journey" post on your other blog (for some reason, I can't comment on there at all) through a Google search when I really needed it. I have had a very aggressive battle with Endometriosis this last year, and am at a point where I need to have kids now or I probably won't get that opportunity. The problem is, I'm single. I was searching for hope one night after completely breaking down in my closet of all places, and I found this. I just wanted you to know it did give me the hope I needed and I've been returning back regularly. It even gave me the inspiration I needed to start my own blog to funnel out some of my frustrations over this entire situation. Being single, I probably won't be as lucky as you were to have a miraculous and unexpected pregnancy (you kind of need a man for that!) but reading your story helps me feel like there could be an answer for me to. So thank you, and I really do hope you and your husband can find some similar luck on this second go-round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you know, I've been reading your blog I think! You have amazing strength and courage essentially going through this alone. I count my lucky stars that I was married and at least sort of ready for kids when I was diagnosed at 24.

    I'm sure you've thought about DS IVF. I hope us documenting our process of doing IVF is helpful to you in many ways.
    On another note you are the fourth person who has told me that they can't comment on my original blog, I have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so random! How could we both find each other and be reading?!?

    I think it has something to do with the word verification. On most blogs it works just fine, but on some it cuts off the word verification and you can't type in whatever the code is. I have been trying to comment on your blog for months!

    ReplyDelete