Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More Q&A- Christa&Tracie

Where are the snow babies kept if you have any that make it to freeze?

They are kept in Panama where they are ready for either donation or an FET.

If my cycle doesn't succeed, will I try again with a frozen FET?

Christa-A FET is an option, but I'm not sure how soon we would do it. Depends on funds and time off. I'm the only one who will essentially need time off because the embryos will already be down there, but it's still difficult with everything we have going on in our normal, everyday life.

Tracie: Yes. As soon as we can, I hope. I will mother others.

Are all of us going (IE- husbands, kids)-

Yes, all of us are eventually going to be there. Tracie, Ava, Christa, Adam, and Ella are traveling down there first and Davez is meeting us there a couple of days later. We are staying together most of the time, and Tracie, Davez, and Ava are taking a brief trip to the coast when we don't have doctors appts for a stretch of time.

Was it difficult to convince your DH to do this IVF Vacation?

Christa- At first, I think Adam was kind of wary of going to another country for medical care, but with all the research that both Tracie and I did, he was almost immediately convinced.

Tracie- I think we both took a while to get used to the idea. I still can't believe our journey has led us here. NEVER did I think we'd have to do IVF. Never. But the idea of doing something unconventional like out-of-the-country IVF is right up our alley. We traveled around the world for 6 months straight in 2006... traveling is our "thing" to say the least. So this kinda' "fits" us, I guess.

Davez still tries to change the whole plan (which is now 99% booked) to going to Thailand instead, but logistically, this just makes more sense. To be honest, I didn't think he'd go for it. Then I thought he went for it to shut me up. Now he's on board. Nervous, and displacing over it, but on board. His biggest fear is not having time to chill by himself, and having Ava loose her chit on the airplane. I got both handled, we'll be fine.


Do you know each other or will you be meeting for the first time in Costa Rica?

This is the exciting part. We have only been email chatting and will be meeting each other for the first time in the baggage terminal where Tracie has already said that she is going to try not to laugh at my "East Coast" accent:)

Tracie: Little does Christa know, I'm actually a 13 year old zit-covered kid from Portland, Oregon. I've been foolin' all your asses for years now. Surprise!

What do your families think about this?

Christa- my parents have been very supportive, my mom was a bit skeptical at first because the first plan was for the girls to go for half and the guys to go for the other. She was upset Adam wasn't going for the whole time and we were going to be "alone" in a foreign country. But she's ok with it especially now since Adam is coming for the whole thing. Honestly, I was a little bit scared of flying all that way with Ella on my lap especially since I hate flying (I get very sick and my ears won't pop). So I'm glad to have the help.

My in laws have been great, helping us book some of their time share so we don't have to pay to stay at certain times during the trip. BIG HELP!!! They are very supportive of our adventure.

Tracie- Hhhmm, that's still pending. My mom is scared, I think. Of the unknown. I tried to explain the process to her last nite, and she says "OMG, this is all very complicated." Um, yes. It is. My dad doesn't say much. We've not said anything else to other family yet. Not sure what we'll do with this.

Our biggest fear is that a child that comes from this process will be LABELED. Which happens sometimes, as much as we'd like to think it doesn't. This has been one helluva journey for us. Although I am bummed (read: ashamed) my body has not worked for us well, I will be extremely proud of any child that comes from this. No matter HOW they got into my belly. I wish Guiana & Bill Rancic were not the ones paving the way for people being open about Infertility. I wish superstars would not keep this problem a secret. I wish no one had to deal with it, but if someone does, I would sure love for that shroud of (whatever it is) to not cover it.

Rant over. Sorry. I don't care what people think, we're doing what is best for our family.

As always, feel free to ask any other questions you have, we are happy to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment